Monday, February 26, 2007

Everyday things

"As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common, everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness." Laura Ingalls Wilder

I found the above quote in a book of collected writings that Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote for farm papers in the early 20th century. It was interesting as I was reading to see that many of the issues she addresses are issues that still afflict women today. Issues such as excessive busyness, an over-abundance of things to chose from, balance(although she didn't call it that), gossip et. al.

The above quote particularly resonated with me because for the longest time I felt like I had to apologize for the effort that I put into my home. Not with my family, mind you, but with other women. It was almost as if there is some unwritten rule that says 'no woman shall have a cleaner, better organized house than I and if she does I must immediately give her grief for it'. About a year ago I decided to stop apologizing. For me keeping house is a simple everyday thing. I am grateful to be able to cook for my family. There are, of course, days that I simply wish to be able to order in, but they are honestly quite rare. I am proud of my house and try to keep it organized and as clutter-free as is possible with two school-age children. Mind you, I'm no Marth Stewart (why do we villify her anyway??) and my house is not perfect. But then it is a home meant to have life lived in it! I think every woman should feel blessed if life is lived in her home, no matter what her home looks like.

3 comments:

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Hello! You are so right about our homes! I also feel that stigma at certain times with the fact that I am a "housewife"...and I don't work outside the home for the most part (I fill in fr. time to time at a scrapbook store, lol). Thank you so much for reintroducing me to Laura Ingalls Wilder.....those words were written so eloquently. I have always loved the "Little House" books and I too adore Anne of Green Gables! So glad you came to visit me so I could discover you!

Marianna said...

Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm still trying to figure out this blog thing, and I'm not sure how to reply to your post! I'm glad you enjoyed the quote from Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Hi Marianna! Sometimes clicking on the person's name takes you to their email so you can respond to their comment. BUT I have been trying to do that with every single one (want to thank everyone) and some have come back to me as undeliverable. I too am relatively new to all this. Keep up with your writing....I truly enjoy it! I use to write short stories a lot and took some classes. I was hoping that my blog would spark that in me again. Talk Later, cherry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails