Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ready for a little downtime

It has been a busy, busy week. I often joke that I, a stay-at-home mom, have more meetings than my husband does! In the last two weeks I've had 5...Tuesday I met with a co-leader from another Mothers & More chapter, which was very interesting. It's easy, I think, to believe that the experience of something is the same for every person. What meeting with her made me realize is that our chapter is unique. The entire rest of the organization isn't exactly like us. Other members don't experience things the same way we (or even I) do. Nothing revolutianary in this. Just a gentle reminder that I need to get out of my comfort zone a little more often.

Anyway, later that day I registered YDC for kindergarten!! She is so ready to go. Of course, I've had to justify my partial week decision to every mother I've talked to this week. I really do not feel that a whole day of school, five days a week for a 5 year-old is in the child's best interest. Study after study has proven that any "benefits" gained are gone by the time the kids are in 3rd grade so I don't see the point. They have 12 years of being in school 40 hours a week! At five they need to have more than 2-3 hours a day of play time!! Besides by the time they are in high school not a single teacher will be able to tell if they were full or partial-time kindergartners! Another of my soapbox issues. Anyone reading this very often has probably figured out I'm a soapbox kind of girl!

Then yesterday I spent most of the day getting my house ready to host a dinner club get-together. Twelve moms came and enjoyed lots of food and fellowship. I love hosting things at my house. I've learned over the years that I don't need to kill myself making everything perfect! Giving myself permission to not be perfect goes along way towards my enjoying the event much more. I actually used paper napkins and bowls!! I had to use the bowls because the theme was Soup, Salad and Bread and I knew there were atleast three kinds of soup, and I only have 11 bowls. I really didn't want to have to have everyone washing out their bowl after each serving!!

So today is a day at home. The house is mostly clean, which is nice because this is usually my big cleaning day. But since most of it was done yesterday I only have to vaccuum upstairs and change sheets on two beds! Plus my super husband agreed to take the flowers for the cafeteria ladies that I was supposed to deliver to school this a.m.! So I truly do not have to leave the house. Maybe I will get through the couch arm high stack of gardening and decorating books I have checked out of the library!! Oh, and the bag full of Country Home's I found at the library sale on Saturday.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I agree with you COMPLETELY about kindergarten. Emma only goes in the morning and it has been perfect for both of us. She loves her playtime in the afternoons and I love having the extra time with her. We are both sad about her being in school full days next year, especially since the bus won't bring her back until almost 4pm!

I hope you enjoyed your day of quiet and got lots of library books read. I'm happiest when I have a stack of reading material waiting for me. Where was the library sale that you got the Country Home Magazines at? I'm too jealous! Jen

Marianna said...

The Indianapolis Marion County sale. The service center in just South of Fall Creek Parkway off Meridian. Magazines are .10!! Books are .50-2.00. The next sale is in May.

Garden_Antqs said...

I believe that being a stay at home mom is beyond a full time job. While I do work, trying to come home and do all that is waiting on me, well sometimes there's just not enough hours, so I do the best I can. I should have raised my two boys better, to help more, but I tried to be Mrs. Cleaver (ha!). If I could do it over again I probably wouldn't change anything :) Thanks for visiting my blog, I love to hear from new people. I left you a message on mine. Take care & God Bless,
Theresa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails