Sunday, March 25, 2007

Yard Care/Gardening

























I spent the morning coming up with a plan for the front yard and beds. These are the plants that I plan on using: New England Aster, Black-Eyed Susans, Butterfly Weed, Purple Coneflowers and Prairie Dropseed. The only one I couldn't find a picture for is the Butterfly Bush. It has orange flowers and is more of a shrub. Now all I need to do is figure out a good ground cover for around the trees and a good tree to buy to plant in the back. And of course I have to find a nursery that carries these plants!




The kids and I read such a wonderful storybook today. "The Story of May" by Mordicai Gerstein is about little May and her journey through the year. I love anything that has to do with the turning of the seasons, and this is a wonderful story that makes the seasons actually come alive for children. I will often pick up books based on their illustrations. This was one I brought home from the library for jus that reason. The illustrations are colorful and of course, tie into the theme.




It was absolutely wonderful to have the windows open today! We were able to go on a walk, and the kids spent the better part of the day out back either drawing with chalk or in the sandbox. I'm glad to be able to get back to my daily outside walk. I love seeing all of the trees and how much they've grown over the winter. Walking outside is so much more interesting than using the treadmill (why does 30 minutes on a treadmill seem to take hours, but when outside it feels like 5 minutes?)! It is also a wonderful way to get to know your neighborhood and to meet neighbors. I just wish the neighbors in this neighborhood were friendlier. It always amazes me when people don't return my greeting. Gotta love suburbia!

2 comments:

Karin said...

http://www.kansasnativeplants.com/gardenprairie.html
Thought you might enjoy this link!

Marianna said...

Karin,

Thanks so much for the link. I'll check it out.

Marianna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails