Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Quotes from Wendell Berry

I've been reading from a collection of Wendell Berry essays originally written in the late 60's and early 70's. I found it interesting how much of what he had to say nearly 40 years ago still applies today.

"...if you are fearful of the destruction of the environment, then learn to quit being an environmental parasite."

"To have a healthy environment we will all have to give up things we like; we many even have to give up things we have come to think of as necessities."

"...a crowd that understands the reasons for its discontent and knows the remedies is a vital community..."

"Great power has always been blinding to those who wield it."

"You can best serve civilization by being against what usually passes for it."

Just a few words for thought.

2 comments:

Mia said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comment. It is always nice to discover new friends. And I so appreciate it when they leave a comment. Thank you.

Jen @ The Cottage Nest said...

Thanks for the recipe you left on my blog! It sounds de-lish! I love the farmer's market. My obsession with it is a running joke in our house. If I don't get to go on any given Saturday I become very fussy! I've been counting down the days til it opens!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails