Monday, June 11, 2007

Items of Interest

There are a couple of things that everytime I encounter them I think...oh, I wish more people knew about this. So for the few who read I'll tell you!

Polishing Stone is a publiciation that I discovered about a year ago. I absolutely love this publication. A new perspective from mainstream media, but not too over the top. Please check out the link on my sidebar.

Simpler Times Village is the brainchild and dream of a couple currently living in Fortville, Indiana. I first discovered it about 3.5 years ago, and honestly don't remember how. Most people have heard of New Urbanism, at least in passing. Well, Simpler Times promises to be the village that actually fulfills the promise of New Urbanism. The promise, of course, being community. The problem with most New Urbanist neighborhoods is that the very thing that makes them attractive also makes them unaffordable for the average person. Not to mention the fact that zoning issues often make it impossible for developers to include small businesses. In turn, they end up feeling like movie sets rather than thriving, diverse, mixed-use communities. The Little Village Makers plan to break ground on the first houses in Spring '08. I truly hope they can pull it off. I'm waiting anxiously to see what will happen! Again there is a link in my sidebar.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words. I am going to check out the links you mentiond (when the kids go to bed!).

Heather

Mrs. Pivec said...

I briefly looked at the Simpler Times Village the other day... I never seem to have enough time to linger! I agree that it will be interesting to see what develops. I would LOVE to live somewhere like that!

I found out about "Polishing Stone" about a year ago when I was looking to see if the gal who used to publish "A Real Life" magazine was doing anything else. There were a couple of people comparing the two and recommending it for those who missed "A Real Life." Alas, I don't have the funds right now for an extra like that... I like too many things and have too many hobbies: knitting, drawing, painting, etc. I only have so much disposable income. I think I'll put it on a birthday wish list!

Jen @ The Cottage Nest said...

I've visited that website and I'm very curious about the community that they want to build. It sound like utopia to me.

P~ said...

Hi, first off I just wanted to say thanks for the link to A Posse ad Esse, I appreciate it.

That village idea sounds great, I hope they can pull it off. I think that a great deal of the success or failure will depend on the people that move in.
P~

Mia said...

Hello Marianna! Thank you for visiting my blog again. I do hope you are enjoying summer and all the lovely weather that (hopefully) goes with it.

The Feathered Nest said...

Thanks for the link to "Polishing Stone". I took a quick look and I'll have to go back. I actually have all the copies of "A Real Life" so if it's close to that publication I know I'll enjoy it.

Manuela

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails