Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"Playstation Nation"

"Playstation Nation" is a book by Kurt and Olivia Bruner detailing how pervasive video game addiction is for our young people. I finished it in one day it was such a compelling read. I've always felt a vague discomfort at my kids playing computer and video games, but could never quite articulate what it was about them. Now I can!! This is a must-read for any parent who has a child that plays for more than 2 hours a day, but most especially for any parent who is considering having a system in their home. I know for me this book has cemented our decision to not purchase a system, and to continue strictly limiting the type and quantity of computer based games. The best quote from the book:

"I think the real question is not whether kids will be able to maintain their grades, but are they able to meet their potential? Again, how are they using their time, what more could they be doing?"

4 comments:

Heather said...

My husband and I are both in agreement on this one - not in our house. At least that is what we want to say!

AIMEE said...

We are the only ones I know without a "system" and I have held firm on it. HOwever I would LOVE to read a book that can help me articulate better why they are harmful, decrease brain growth, creativity, relationships, etc...I have my own theories, but would love to read this and also recommend it to others! I have been praying for a like-minded family who doesn't have gaming a focus either...

Marianna said...

I'm praying with you. So far my children are young enough that it hasn't been a real issue. My son starts 2nd grade this year and I know the pressure will increase...He actually visited a friend shortly after Christmas who had received a portable. The friend spent the entire time playing with it insted of my son. That was a wonderful built-in teaching tool!! He wasn't quite so keen to go that friends house again, either!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I heard the authors of this book on HomeWord with Jim Burns. It was fascinating! My daughter plays very moderately (and we do have one), but I can see it becoming a problem for my son who just turned 3, so I need to keep an eye on his habits.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails