Friday, July 13, 2007

Read Together Book Review


As I had posted a couple of weeks ago we are participating in the Read Together Challenge that Jennifer at Snapshot is hosting.

Our first completed chapter book was "The White Elephant" by Sid Fleischman. My reading style has been informed by Waldorf. The Waldorf method does not believe in discussing with children immediately after finishing a book. They are to draw their own conclusions. Of course eventually some discussion does occur. Anyway, given this I have never read a chapter and then asked them questions before this book. I was surprised that my 8yo son very much got the "point." My 5yo not so much, but this book was a little above her level.

The book is about a young, poor boy in India who is "cursed" by the village prince with a rare white elephant. The elephant is considered sacred, and, therefore, is not to be used for work. In addition to the white elephant the boy also has the elephant, Walking Mountain, he inherited from his father. Walking Mountain is a hard worker and Sahib, the sacred elephant, wishes to emulate him. Run Run, the boy, stresses over getting caught allowing Sahib to work. Then he discovers that the white elephant looks like all the others when he is covered in mud. They go on quite happily until the village prince returns one day and is attacked by a tiger. In case anyone wants to read it I won't give the ending away, but it is quite touching.

1 comment:

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

That's cool. I would be interested in hearing more about the Waldorf method.

Be sure to link this up to the book review page. I posted it earlier this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails