Monday, October 22, 2007

The Road to Christmas


I've been feeling very unsettled today. I usually get this way about this time of year as I try to make holiday plans. There are too many ideas rolling around in my head. Too many notes and thoughts written down in my journals. I want to bake cookies to deliver to neighbors; find recipes. I want to host a hot chocolate tasting party for my children and their friends; do I have the energy? I need to figure out the gifts that I'm planning on making and get started; find patterns. I'm participating in on-line ornament swap; what in the world am I going to make? There are about 200 fun sounding activities going on; which ones do I pick? I suppose I still long for that perfect Christmas. That magazine Christmas. You know the one. Everyone is thrilled with their lovely, elaborate, homemade gifts. Every nook and cranny of the house is adorned with Christmas finery. Oh wait, the people who pull all that off in the magazines have much larger incomes than I, not to mention a staff (my staff consists of a 5 and 8-year old...neither of whom are interested in perfection) to help adorn those nooks and crannies! Those magazines are a double-edged sword for me. I love them for the inspiration, but at the same time they cause dissatisfaction with what I have. They make me feel inadequate for my lack of handcrafting ability. I'm vowing now not to buy another (I've already succumbed to two) special holiday issue. Oh, this is going to be hard! But I know in the end I will end up with a much more peaceful holiday if I resist.

7 comments:

Jen@The Cottage Nest said...

I really know what you mean. I am really scaling back this year and avoiding all of the stress. I hope you find the balance that you are looking for.

Jen@The Cottage Nest said...

Marianna-
I forgot to say that the anthropologie store is at the Fashion Mall.

Splaneyo said...

Marianna,
I struggle with the magazine life and reality also. I am sure that whatever you do will be fantastic.
Heather

Nunnie's Attic said...

I found your blog thru Lina at Restyled Home. I feel your pain and trepidation. And for someone who loves Christmas as much as me, I don't understand why I get so upset. Because I know the TRUE reason for the season. Shouldn't that be all that matters??

Love,
Julie

Meg said...

I know just what you mean about the double-edge sword of the fantasy pages in a magazine. It's hard to stay focused on what's important, and that's one of the biggest challenges in life, isn't it? - not just Christmas, but always, right? To not get caught up in the detail.

I think your early plans sound wonderful, and I wonder who would really want "perfect" over "sincere" and "made with love".

Good luck as you continue your preparations.

Tracy said...

Yup - some days I so want to walk into the pages of the Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware catalogs this time of year. And live there. Forever. Alone.

Well, maybe not. But maybe in my empty nest season of life I can at least have the time and money to decorate more and have a big party with the kids and grandkids. For now, we do what we can!

Julie said...

Great post! I totally understand what you mean..but it helped me to keep in tune with a few things. First of all - I can appreciate all decorations - but I have a specific kind of home that looks good decorated in a specific way. Beyond that - I just add a bit each year or change up 1 or 2 things for fun..but don't get too weighed down by what the magazines tell me is the best.

As for small children - pick one day to be totally theirs. One year we had a gingerbread house party. All ages of kids came and I just wanted them to have fun - so I made the houses out of cardboard and they spent their time and energy doing the fun part - decorating them. These kids are young adults and do you know they still tell me that they remember that and how much fun they had...and I am not talking about my kids either!

BTW - my pumpkin photos are in my blog now if you would like to take a peek!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails