Sunday, October 14, 2007

Soup Party

We are planning a soup party here at our house the first weekend in November. We have had a hard time getting people to attend this time. I enjoy having people over and generally have some sort of function at least once a month. Normally, the first few people we invite say yes! This time everyone we've invited will be out of town. I'm beginning to think it's a holiday I'm not aware of!! Anyway, it will all come together...

We are going to serve Lentil Soup, Pasta e Fagioli and Spinach-Cranberry Salad.

Both of the soups are super easy to prepare. Here are the recipes.

Lentil Soup

2-3 onions, rough diced
4-6 garlic cloves, diced
1-2 diced carrots
1-1 1/2 cups red lentils and split peas mixed
3-4 cups vegetable broth
cumin
salt and pepper

In olive oil saute onions, seasoned with salt, until soft, add garlic and carrots and saute for about 30 seconds. Add cumin to your taste and stir around (adding it dry like this allows the full flavor to come out.) Add vegetable broth and lentils. Allow to cook until lentils are soft. Add freshly ground black pepper. Puree with either an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. The longer this cooks the better it is!

Pasta e Fagioli

1 onion, diced
1 carrot, shredded
1 can marinara or spaghetti sauce (I use Trader Joe's brand Tuscano Marinara)
1 can red beans
1 can white beans
1/2 cup small pasta

Saute the onion and carrot until onion is soft. Add the marinara, beans and beef or vegetable broth. About 20 minutes before serving add pasta. If I have one I will add the rind from Parmesan cheese (I save them in the freezer). This can also be made with ground beef. Add the beef and season it with some garlic and onion powder after cooking the carrot.

We are asking our guests to bring breads and desserts. It should be a fun evening! I'll post some picutures of our spread.

2 comments:

Jen@The Cottage Nest said...

I love the idea of a soup party. I'd love to hear more. Do you invite lots of different couples? What else do you serve? Is it sit down?

Mrs. Pivec said...

It sounds like a very nice time. I love the *idea* of parties, but I don't throw them regularly. I think I'm just a smaller group person... I think really, I'm just too tired. At least right now! But I sure would like to ATTEND a soup party!

Have a wonderful time! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails