Sunday, November 4, 2007

Peace, Love and Joy


Those are the words I'm choosing to focus on for Christmas this year.

I've taken some time to write down some thoughts about each one and thought I would share.

Peace:

Candles lit during the day. My son picked out Gingerbread from Yankee Candle.
Eat dinner by candlelight once a week
Read aloud in front of the fire each night
Windham Hill Christmas on the CD player
Watching the birds (especially the cardinals) at the feeders
Quiet morning walks
Turning off all of the lights except the tree in the early evening


Love:

Embroidered gifts for Grandmomma
Bake and deliver cookies to our neighbors
Create a tree for the birds
Cookie of the month gift for family


Joy:

Tour the Gingerbread House display at Conner Prairie
Host a hot chocolate tasting party for our friends
See the train exhibit at White River Gardens
Decorate a family gingerbread house
Hot chocolate after afternoon walks
Oranges in the toes of Christmas stockings
Make cinnamon applesauce ornaments
Solstice event at the IMA
The Polar Express on video

I am determined to take the focus off of the "gimmes" for my kids. They enjoy attending the events I've mentioned which luckily for me are either free or included with memberships that we already hold! The gifts I really want to focus on this year are the ones that we will be making. I'm not a great crafter, but I can embroider and bake so that is what I will be doing!

Wishing everyone a joy filled Christmas season! Don't worry my Thanksgiving post will be coming up soon!! I just needed to get this down so I can put things on the calendar and make sure I'm not overextending.

5 comments:

restyled home said...

I love what you have focused on, and I love the simplicity of the ideas you have shared...especially the hot chocolate tasting party!!

Linda

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Beautiful things to experience!
You are so right on the gimmees...I am soo glad my son isn't like that. We bake a cake for Jesus and write Happy Birthday to reflect on what is truly important. Now you have my curousity peeked on the applesauce ornaments? Thanks for stopping by my blog! Cherry

Patricia said...

Wonderful ideas! And great ways to build family memories that will last a lifetime. We're doing something similar in our family. Our girls are coming up with some of their own ideas & we're having a "family meeting" this weekend to go over everyone's ideas & make our list of JOYful things to do for the holidays. (Jesus first, others second & yourself last) Blessings ~ Patricia

Mrs. Pivec said...

It sounds like you've got some wonderful things planned. I was just telling my girls the other day that we used to get oranges in OUR Christmas stockings every year too. Now we get them all over our tree outside!! :)

Splaneyo said...

Looks like the perfect list.
Heather

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails