Friday, November 16, 2007

Thanksgiving Menu

It will be just our little family of four for Thanksgiving this year. We are still having the whole feast though, just on a smaller scale!

Our menu will feature:
Turkey
Gravy
Cornbread dressing
Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts
Cranberry/orange relish
Sweet potato biscuits
Pecan pie

I've ordered a natural, free-range turkey from the local butcher shop. I'm hoping it will be good! I season the bird liberally both inside and outside with salt and pepper then stuff the cavity with an onion (quartered), apple (halved), carrot and rib of celery. This leads to more flavorful drippings which I use in the dressing and gravy.

I haven't yet mastered cornbread dressing. This is the year I hope to do that!! I can never quite get the sage and poultry seasoning balanced. And it always seems a little dry. I've been collecting a variety of recipes and will be testing some of the tricks mentioned including a grated onion, crumbled biscuits and a little melted butter. Hopefully I will have success.

I use this recipe from Everyday Food for Sweet Potato biscuits.

The green beans with garlic and pine nuts will be a change this year. I usually make green beans with garlic and sweet red peppers, but I found a recipe for Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts that I'm going to try this year.

I will use my grandmother's traditional cranberry/orange relish recipe, which I need to track down!

My pecan pie recipe was my other grandmother's. It is super delicious. Her secret is a couple drops of almond extract!

My mouth is watering just thinking about next Thursday!

10 comments:

nannykim said...

Have a blessed Thanksgiving and have fun cooking up some sweet memories!

Jeannene said...

"Looks so yummy!" Can I come over for dinner? Have a lovely Thanksgiving with your family!
xo Jeannene

Kelli said...

Mmm....your Thanksgiving sounds delicious! It's always special to have family recipes to use. Have a wonderful time together!
Kelli

Sharon said...

What a wonderful menu! Your grandmother's dressing sounds marvelous! I always cook my turkey in a bag and it always makes it so nice and moist. I recently heard about injecting your turkey with butter, oil and seasonings and I might try to to that sometime. We're traveling to my husband's sister's house this year, so I won't be making the turkey.

:0) Sharon

SimpleFolk said...

Sounds like the perfect menu! I'd like to try those sweet potato biscuits sometime. The photos of your home are SO lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Amy

Mrs. Pivec said...

I'm excited for Thanksgiving too! Your green beans sound wonderful! Please share the recipe if you end up liking it! :)

Sara Mincy said...

Sounds so yummy! :)

tracy said...

Garlic, almond, such good flavors! I would also be interested in the green bean recipe!

Patty said...

Sounds like a wonderful meal !

P~ said...

I've been wanting a good recipe for orange-cranberry relish. I had some last year and didn't get a recipe for it. Any chance you'd share??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails