Saturday, December 1, 2007

Cranberry Orange Relish

For Patrick...

This is my grandmother's recipe:

1 lb fresh cranberries
2 medium oranges
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped nuts

Wash cranberries. Quarter and seed oranges (do not peel) grind with cranberries. Stir in the sugar and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Add nuts before serving.

This is what I actually ended up doing:

1/2 bag cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
one orange peeled and segmented
handful of chopped pecans or walnuts

Place all of the above in a medium saucepan just covering cranberries with water. Bring to a gentle boil. Let simmer, covered, for about an hour. Remove lid and continue simmering until mixture begins to thicken. I let this cook for about 3 hours total. Add pecans before serving.

I wanted a more "jellied" cranberry so I made the bottom recipe.

4 comments:

P~ said...

Thanks so much. I'll definitely give this a try. It sounds like what we were looking for.

Thanks again!
P~

STEPHANIE said...

oh.. yumm.. I made a similar cran-orange relish for thanksgiving.. but the nuts would add a nice touch. yumm!!!

Kelli said...

Mmm...this sounds delicious!

Kelli

The Feathered Nest said...

I'm going to try your "jellied" version - sounds good! Thanks!

Manuela

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails