Saturday, December 1, 2007

Stockings


In the past I've usually filled stockings with a piece of fruit, a new toothbrush and then a random assortment of DollarSpot items. Well, after spending four hours working on cleaning children's rooms and removing a grocery bag full of accumulated goody bag junk I've decided to skip the DollarSpot junk! I felt incredibly guilty throwing that stuff in the trash. It was all plastic and none of it was played with for more than 30 minutes. So...I've decided to put in $5.00 gift cards to our favorite ice cream shop along with the fruit and new toothbrushes. I know they will enjoy these and I won't be throwing them away in a few months.

Image courtesy of Allposters

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Sounds like a great alternative to me!

Patty said...

Good plan, even though my children are grown ups, we all still get stockings, but I try to be practical and give useful things. This year I decided the stockings are too big !

Jen@The Cottage Nest said...

What a great idea! I also love the idea of toothbrushes, brilliant! Handels has ice cream coins that I have put in the girls stockings before. I'm also doing crayons, farm animal chopsticks (from the wild), stickers and silly string. I may regret that last one.

The ribbon is from Target. I found it in the regular gift wrap aisle. Let me know if you find it.

Tracy said...

If your kids are anything like mine they will be GAGA over the new toothbrushes!

SimpleFolk said...

Sounds like a great idea! We used to do the same thing, but we're having a true "Old Fashioned Christmas" this year. The children (my own and my sister's) are getting things that the Ingalls children might have enjoyed. (Fruit, etc.) It should be fun!

Amy

AIMEE said...

I am struggling with stockings too this year b/c usually they end up with a lot of stuff from the dollar tree that is junk and ends up in the trash too...I am going to try to put some art supplies in them this year, a music CD, and a new DVD...and Burt's Bees chapstick!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails