Monday, November 17, 2008

Give Thanks Week at There's No Place Like Home


Kelli at No Place Like Home is hosting Give Thanks Week starting today. She has asked that we share anything we would like about Thanksgiving.

We are feeling particularly blessed this year as our plans for Thanksgiving this year happily include extended family! My parents and hopefully brother and sister-in-law will be here for dinner.



Dinner will be here at our house and will include the traditional fare of turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes and cranberry relish. I diverge from tradition a little with sides. Instead of green bean casserole I saute green beans with garlic and red peppers. A nice light side dish. I also make up a batch of sweet potato biscuits. For dessert there is pecan pie, of course!

My son has decided that we need to do something special at the table besides just say one thing we are thankful for. I've put him in charge of coming up with an idea. It will be interesting to see what he has in store for us.

Thanksgiving will hold special significance for our family this year as we will welcome a new nephew on the 25th. His parents recently immigrated so his birth here in the US will be extra special. Part of my husband's Thanksgiving weekend will be spent driving to Houston to visit him. I didn't feel it would be appropriate for the kids and I to go so soon after his birth so we will be spending the weekend at the grandparents--my parents.

So what are you thankful for? Be sure and visit Kelli's and check out all of the Thanksgiving posts.

12 comments:

Susie Homemaker said...

Siunds like great family activities...I can't wait to see what your son comes up with...

Blessings,
Susie

BECKY said...

Pretty mantel!! Very cute banner also!! Hope your Thanksgiving is full of love and joy!
Blessings, Becky

Linda C said...

It sounds like you are going to have a lovely holiday together. It's always so nice to have the extened family together.
Thanks for stopping my place for a visit:) I'm happy to share my orange salad recipe with you. Here is the original recipe. I double it for our family of 11.

Put 3 cups of water in a pan and add 1 reg. size pkg of orange jello, and 2 pkgs of tapioca pudding. Bring to a boil and remove from heat and let cool.
When it is cool, add 1 small can of mandarin orange (drained) and a can of crushed pineapple (drained).
Mix together and then add one 8 oz. container of Cool Whip and mix all together, put in fridge and cool for at least 2 hours.

Let me know how you like it:)
I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does!
LindaC

It's All Good! said...

Your sweet potato bisquits sounds delicious. I don't think I can wait another week for Thanksgiving!
Have a great one.
Brenda :)

"Dove" said...

I made a banner for my mantle this year too. I had so much fun with it I decided I need to make a Christmas one next! Yours is very lovely.

Wanita said...

It sounds like you Thanksgiving will be lovely with family and a delicious meal. And how wonderful that you will be welcoming a new nephew into your family.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please come back again, soon.

Blessings,
Wanita

Grammy said...

A great post.Thank you.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Grammy

Patty said...

How exciting for the arrival of a new baby in the family. A new american !
Your meal sounds great and I like what you are doing in place of green bean casserole. I might just do something along those lines too.

moreofhim said...

How wonderful that you will have so much family around you at Thanksgiving. That's what it's all about - family! Your dishes sound so delicious! I'm sure your son will come up with something so fun and memorable!

God bless you and thank you for visiting my blog!

Blessings ~ Julie

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Sounds like very nice plans. Let us know what your son comes up with to do along with giving thanks!

Katherine

Lora said...

That cranberry relish looks really good!

the pleasures of homemaking said...

I know you're excited to be able to have family there! I wonder what your son will come up with?

Manuela

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails