Monday, November 24, 2008

Purrrrrr a Poem by Daniel Kirk


I see you by the window,
sitting in your favorite chair.
A golden shaft of sunlight
streams in through the quiet air.
I slip across the room,
for one thing's better than a nap.
I make a little sound, and spring,
and land upon your lap.

You smile and put your book aside
so I can settle in.
I stretch and lift my head up high
so you can scratch my chin.
Something magic happens
every time you stroke my fur:
I close my eyes a tiny bit
and I begin to purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

A funny little rumble,
like an earthquake, grows inside,
then ripples through me, so
I couldn't stop it if I tried.
I purr because I love you,
but I can't tell you that.
I purr because I'm happy...
and because I'm a cat!

from the book Cat Power! by Daniel Kirk

The picture is of my beautiful Laika. My dear husband gave her to me as a gift for our first anniversary. It was quite a surprise I must say. She has a very loving and gentle spirit and I love her dearly. She is my lap cat.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

AWWWW...that is such a sweet poem! I know you must love your sweet cat! Nancy

Mrs. Pivec said...

So sweet and spot on with how those furry friends are!

I've passed on an award to you. Stop on by when you get a chance!

Happy Thanksgiving!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails