Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thankfulness for the Completion of a Book



Join Kelli for Giving Thanks week!

My nine-year-old son is becoming a reader! O.k. what's the big deal you ask?? Well, this child has struggled with reading since day one. He has always loved to be read to, but only in the last few weeks has he actually found his own private joy in reading. As a new parent I looked forward to the day that my children would disappear into their rooms for hours on end, good book in hand. Reading has always brought me so much pleasure, and I wanted the same for them. For the past three years I've wondered if I would ever be able to see my dream come true for my dear son. You see, he is dyslexic. He has struggled since kindergarten, but was only diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. Reading is still a struggle for him, but his overriding love of books has helped him tremendously. About two weeks ago my dream finally came true. He disappeared upstairs and it was very quiet. I called up, "A, what are you doing?" He answered, "Reading." Then about two hours later he came down so very proud of himself because for the first time ever he had FINISHED a whole chapter book all on his own. I was thrilled to be able to tell him to go drop the completed book in the library bag so it could go back. Such a simple everyday thing, but one of the things I'm most thankful for this year. He still has a long road ahead of him, but simply knowing that their is a reason for his difficulties seems to have helped him tremendously, and I know given his innate intelligence and drive to succeed that he will go very far!

10 comments:

Marnie said...

What a great blessing! It is so nice when you see the light going on in your kids. My son has been struggling with reading too. He is just now starting to blend words easily. It gives me so much joy to hear it getting easier for him, as I am sure it does for you in seeing it in your son. Thankyou for sharing, have a blessed day!

ceekay said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Good for your son and his reading!

Wanita said...

How wonderful! I hope your son continues to find enjoyment in reading.

Blessings,
Wanita

ladybugsmom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. In response to your comments, I can't take credit for the honey biscuits, they are from a Bisquik mix, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone :). Congrats on your son and his reading skills, as a teacher, I know how important a skill it is.

Susie Homemaker said...

Great post...I know how wonderful it must have felt to know that he was able to enjoy something you yourself enjoy so much. Good for him! Good for you too!:)

Blessings,
Susie

Kelli said...

Yay! This is such a wonderful blessing...thank you for sharing it with us!
~Kelli

Mrs. Pivec said...

So good for him!! Yay! What a wonderful feeling... for both of you.

It's All Good! said...

That was beautiful. So happy for both of you! Great milestone.
God bless,
Brenda
btw, the Cranberry Breakfast Pretzels recipe is up now.

Liz said...

That's so exciting for him!

Stacey said...

That is absolutely awesome!! That' what we always want for our kids.

We have had the same experience with my younger son. Keep reading with him too...we still read together sometimes and my son is 16- He loves it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails