Friday, November 7, 2008

What I'm Reading


Listening to the Light by Jim Pym. One of the best explanations of Quaker (Society of Friends) worship I've ever read. I'm fascinated by the idea of Quaker worship so I've read a number of books on it. The Friends traditionally worship in silence. The idea is that by stilling oneself and becoming silent it will be possible to hear God. This sounds similar to meditation, but from all I've read it has a much different feel due to group energy. I've been told that sometimes Quaker worship feels nearly mystical, but with God at it's center.

Home Economics by Wendell Berry. This one I've only just started. Berry is one of my favorite authors.


Return to Gone-Away by Elizabeth Enright. I'm reading this aloud right now with my children. A sequel to Gone-Away Lake in which the Blake family returns to the imposing, abandoned mansion they bought at the end of the previous summer. The house was boarded up over 50 years before by it's imperious owner Mrs. Brace-Gideon. The Blake family discovers a great number of treasures while working to bring the house back to life. Enright's books are simply magical. We've read several and I've loved everyone. My 9yo son even declared her his favorite author!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I can barely find time to stick my nose in the ONE book I have right now. I bow to you...

Mrs. Pivec said...

Hmmm, I haven't seen that Enright title before; we'll have to check it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails