Thursday, January 1, 2009

Be Gentle and Listen

I've never been much for New Year's resolutions. Then I discovered the word of the year idea atAli Edwards via Nicole and I was hooked. Last year my word was daily, with the thought being to focus more on the dailiness of life. I don't know that I really kept it close and worked with it as much as I should have. I think this is because it wasn't a word chosen truly from my heart. I wasn't strongly convicted to work with it.

My words for this coming new year are Be Gentle and Listen. My husband said something to me a couple of weeks ago about the tone of voice I frequently use with my family (exasparated would be the best description). My immediate reaction was to be defensive and excuse my behavior. But his words stayed with me. The more I thought about it the more I realized a couple of things. One, my tone sets the tone. If I'm short and give the impression of being bothered I really can't blame my husband and children for the same. Two, I don't like it when someone is short with me. It hurts my feelings.

So I am strongly convicted to Be more Gentle when speaking to my family.



Listen. I need to listen to that small, still voice inside more. I need to spend more time in prayer, it is as simple as that. I've been reading a great deal about the Rule of St. Benedict . Something resonates deeply with me about this wisdom as a way of life. I plan to follow the daily readings of the Rule. At the end of the year each chapter will have been read three times. I want to deeply instill St. Benedict's wisdom. So each day I will listen to his Rule, and each day I will pray and listen for the small, still voice of God.

3 comments:

Mrs. Pivec said...

Wonderful words for your year, Marianna. I know just where you're coming from. I sometimes have to ask myself if I would speak to guests - or in front of guests - as I have caught myself speaking to those who are nearest and dearest to me. I think your words will allow much growth this year. It will be interesting for you to see how it happens.

Have a blessed new year!

Just Pure Lovely said...

That "gentle and quiet spirit" which is a "blessing to God" is so very difficult to attain, don't you think? "Exasperated" is definitely often my tone as well. Thanks for sharing!

Bella Casa said...

What a wonderful idea, I am not one for resolutions myself, but your word of the day idea is great.

Happy New Year to you, I love your blog layout, it's very pretty!

Bella

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails