Friday, January 16, 2009

In the stacks

As I've mentioned previously we are really trying to control our spending given the uncertainty of our two house situation and the economy in general. Getting off the consumer treadmill has freed up a tremendous amount of time for me! I've been using most of my new found time to attack my stacks of reading material. So what am I reading?


This is a picture of the two books that I'm actively working on.

Heart Whispers by Elizabeth J. Canham and No Moment Too Small by Norvene Vest. Both of these deal with Benedictine Spirituality.


The next stack are various other religion books. Some I've started (see the marks sticking out of the tops), others are in waiting. I'm working hard to develop a commitment to prayer and find reading from these books helps me along.


Then there are the cookbooks that I've gone through noting recipes to try. You will notice a theme of vegetarian cooking here! We are committing to eat meat-free meals at least three nights a week so I'm looking for inspiration.


Last, but not least, are a couple of works of fiction. I don't read a lot of fiction. This has much more to do with the fact that I don't generally have huge chunks of uninterrupted time to read, and I have a really hard time putting a good story down. I find that I postpone the start of dinner too long, leave my children standing in the school yard waiting for me and just generally neglect household duties when I'm trying to get through a good book! Dewey is one I've anxiously been waiting to read...I'll probably start it this weekend. The other two in this stack are The Beautiful Struggle . A compelling memoir about family love. This book will challenge a number of white middle-class notions. Notions that need to be challenged. I've started, but can't quite get into The Corrections. This is another family centric tale. Albeit a rather dysfunctional family. This book has been highly acclaimed so I may give it another shot. I started it when I had just a few minutes to read and was reading with the sound of a soccer game on the TV in the background so I was somewhat distracted.

The links will take you to Amazon. I use this simply because it is the easiest place to find nearly all of the books I have and create links to them. As you can see every single one of the books in my stacks are courtesy of the library.

4 comments:

Nina said...

The library is the best, isn't it? I always want people to know that I didn't buy all the book I talk about on my blog.

I'm doing a no spend month and it really does free up a bit of time. I will often go two or three times a week for a quick look at the Goodwill. I always find great books. This month I am focused on reading many of them. :)

Mrs. Pivec said...

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you and your free time spoken for! :) There's never a shortage of entertainment to be found at the library, that's for sure.

Patty said...

some good reading ahead of you !

Jen Kershner said...

Wow! That is some stack of books you are working on. I'm impressed that you are trying to cook 3 meals a week that are meatless. I personally have no problem with that, Sweet Hubby on the other hand...

I'm so thrilled for you that you have an offer on your house. I hope you will be rid of it very soon. Tell your daughter that yes, she has missed some snow but she has also missed the most bitterly cold winter that Indiana has seen in ages.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails