Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Little Lesson in Label Reading

My DH stopped on his way home from work last night to buy an ingredient for a cookie he wanted to make...well, while he was there he decided to get the kids a little treat. He came home with a sugar-free version of a popular pudding snack cup found in the refrigerated section (hint the name starts with a J). I tried a bite and didn't care for it to which my husband acussed me of not liking thing that were 'good for me'. Being sugar-free was what was purported to make it 'good for me'. I read the following list of ingredients to him after he made said statement:

Water, xylitol, modified food starch, cocoa processed with alkali, milk protein concentrate, contains less than 1.5% of hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut and palm kernel oils), salt, sodium stearoyl, lactylate (for smooth texture), calcium phosphate, carob been gum, sodium alginate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, natural and artificial flavor, artificial color.

Good for me? Hmmmm....I think not! Thankfully, he agreed, and also agreed to never bring said item home again! Hopefully, he will also read the label on the next treat he decides to bring home.

Oh, and the homemade cookies he fixed with real ingredients out of our refrigerator and pantry? Delicious!

Date Pecan Bars

1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup each chopped dates and pecans

Combine all ingredients. Spread in a 9 x 11 pan (we used a 9x9). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

4 comments:

Mrs. Pivec said...

I'm with you on this one too, Marianna! I'm not someone who loves to bake, but I do it specifically for this reason!

Thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog today, by the way. You nearly had me in tears all over again with that one, girl. Thank you, my friend. :)

kelli said...

I gotta' try these bars! They sound so yummy, and I know what each ingredient is that's in there:)

Thanks for your comment on my blog about the mailbox at By Sun and Candlelight! It reminds of another little thing we do...my girls have made a fairy house, and we have 2 fairies that "come and visit and leave notes." It's been fun!

I'm enjoying your blog! I need to spend some more time on here!

Where in TX are you? We live in
South TX!!

Gigi said...

Isn't that disgusting? We should all do a little more label reading. If it sounds like a chemistry experiment, it's probably not so good for you :)

Thanks for the recipe. I LOVE dates in cookies. My mother used to make date nut balls that were almost like this but shaped into balls and rolled in coconut. SO good!

erinn | the happy living blog said...

aacck. Crazy what they put in our food. The date pecan bars sound delish but such a simple recipe. I might try it. Thanks for reading too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails