Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Interesting Conversation

Every day we have to go through Miss Elizabeth to get to school. Well, actually, she is there for our protection as the crossing guard. My kids love seeing her and her three little dogs every morning and afternoon. Most afternoons we stop and talk for a bit. Today we were on the subject of different rules in different houses. My 9yo ds mentioned one of our rules about computer games (max. 20 minutes a day on school days) which got us on to the topic of TV. Like me she doesn't allow TV on school days. I find it to be too much of a distraction in the morning, and TV plus homework in the afternoon means no play time. Since I think it is vitally important for kids to have some playtime every day, and homework can't be eliminated, out went the TV time. Anyway, in the course of the conversation she asked both kids what their favorite thing in the whole world to do is, to which they both replied 'read'. A little light bulb went off for Miss Elizabeth and I! Perhaps a correlation exists between the amount of TV watched and whether or not a child identifies as a reader?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails