Thursday, April 30, 2009

Caution vs. Panic

Where does caution cross over and become panic? I've been asking myself this question for the past few days as our community is affected by the swine flu outbreak. I'm trying hard to remain on the cautious side, but given events of the past six hours I'm creeping toward panicky. Late this afternoon our school district announced a cancellation of most extra curricular events. Early this evening it was announced that a school about five or six miles from our house, that is in an adjacent district, is closed for the next week due to a confirmed case. And, the girl scouts just sent an e-mail advising the cancellation of all events for the next ten days. Boys Scouts is next, I'm sure. My husband, a medical professional, assures me that the only reason for the major reaction is simply to avoid mass illness and is not due to any major health concerns associated with the swine flu. Apparently this is a highly contagious virus that has the capability to spread rapidly and health officials are concerned about having large numbers of people sick nationally all at one time. They also want to attempt to limit exposure to vulnerable populations if at all possible. He's at a conference right now where it is topic one so I'm thinking he's getting good, current info. I hope!!

So for the time being we will stick a little closer to home, but will still go to school and attend the few events that have not been cancelled...yet. At the same time we will wash hands a little more frequently, make good use of the hand santizer and avoid super large gatherings.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't think you can be too careful. Around me, where a child has gotten it, they have closed the school he attended for a week.

Meredith@MerchantShips said...

This morning while we were at the pediatician's I asked the doctor if we should alter our normal daily routine (shopping, etc). She said that 15,000 people have died of regular flu since January, but no one has reported that. She urged us to do the same things you are doing and not to panic.

At least we can pray!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails