Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Favorite Time of Day


The hours just before the sun sets are my absolute favorite time of the day. The twilight hours. I found the following description of this magical time of day in the book Quiet Places: How to Create Peaceful Havens in Your Home, Garden, and Workplace by Lee Vinny. The author's description is so lyrical that I just had to share.

"Sunset, when the light fades and the evening stars appear, is a peaceful, magical time of day. The progress toward dusk is gradual, bringing subtle change to even a familiar view as light filters slowly from the sky, and gold gives way to soothing deep blues. Dusk is a time of transition between the activity of the day and the stillness of the night. Sounds, such as rustling leaves or the last calls of roosting birds, carry further than in the day, and fragrances also become more intense...."

This is a time of day when families come back together after being apart all day. It's the time of sitting down to a family meal. A time of reconnecting. The light has a warm, pleasant glow. Things finally slow down a little bit.

2 comments:

Lori @ Just Pure Lovely said...

Twilight is definitely my favorite time of day. This time of year, the light shines into my kitchen at just the right time for supper-making. It inspires me to stay in the kitchen and bake or cook something yummy for the family.

Lora said...

this is my favorite time of day too.

I call it "gloaming", like my grandad who grew up in Wales did. I think it sounds so romantic

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails