Saturday, October 3, 2009

Five Senses...Sunday

I was very faithfully keeping my list for each day of the week....and then my mom left a message Wednesday afternoon asking me to call her cell phone. My mom does not use her cell phone except in emergencies so I knew something was up. My grandfather was in the emergency room and wasn't expected to make it through the night. He did make it, for three more days. But from that moment until this one, time has pretty much been a vacuum. The only senses those of feeling and emotion; sadness, exhaustion, worry, gratefulness. Grateful for a husband that was willing to turn his world upside down so that I could stay where I really needed to be for three days.
Grateful that my grandfather was alert and able to recognize and communicate with everyone yesterday morning. Grateful that everyone who could be there was. Grateful that my cousins, with whom we had pretty much lost contact, are reconnected. Grateful that before I left to come home yesterday morning I was able to tell Grandaddy that I loved him and he was able to tell me the same. Grateful that he had wonderful nursing care in his final days. Grateful that his passing was a peaceful one. Grateful that he is no longer in the pain that has defined his days for the last ten+ years.

I love you Grandaddy. May you rest in peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I leave the notes I made for the week. It seems like these events happened a lifetime ago. They are my thread that connects me to the daily life that will soon resume for our family.

Saturday: Lasagna for dinner (include recipe)
Light evening rain
Kite flyer
Weight room orientation
Heavy rain in the evening

Sunday: Steaks on the grill with roasted potatoes
DS had a friend over while DH and DD went bowling
Laundry
Cold with the windows open

Monday: Cold and rainy
Girl Scout planning meeting
Roast for dinner--wasn't very good


Tuesday: Much warmer this morning
Cold front blew in about 2:00 bringing rain
DS to the symphony as a school field trip
Sad Mickey at the shelter...he needs to find a home soon
Dr. appt. for me...annual
Cacciatore for dinner
Cub Scout meeting

2 comments:

m. heart said...

I'm so sorry to read about your grandfather Marianna. It sounds like he was surrounded by love and peace during his last days. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Lora said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. And so thankful for your kind words over on my blog when I posted about having a sick and struggling grandmother.

Like m.heart said, it really does sound like your grandfather had so much love and care at his bedside in his final days. I can only pray that we are so lucky when it's our time to go.

my love and thoughts are with your family during this time, when the calls become more infrequent and it seems that everyone else is getting on with their lives.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails