Monday, February 22, 2010

Interesting Links From This Week

A couple of things I found of interest this past week:

The lovely idea for a Family Wish Bowl from Olde Common Candles.

This article at Magic Onions about a childhood of elemental simplicity. I love what Rick Tan has to say about keeping our children's environments simple. I haven't been a purist in keeping my children's environment completely natural. However, I have avoided electronic and "one-use" toys. We've always had lots of Legos, Playmobil, blocks, train set, cars and play figures like dinosaurs etc.

Just as an aside, I remember talking to the mother of an infant during a playgroup when my kids were about four and six. In passing I mentioned that we did not have any battery operated toys. She was amazed and couldn't imagine what in the world they played with. I knew that our discussion had had an effect on her when, at the next playgroup, she mentioned that she had gone home and purged all the battery operated toys and was asking relatives to give more open-ended things for the upcoming holiday. The best part was that she had seen an immediate difference in her baby's engagement with her environment and had realized that without the talking, flashing, beeping prop between them they were actually interacting on a more elemental level. It was really cool! I'll admit that I actually didn't avoid battery operated because I thought they weren't all that great for my kids. I avoided them because I couldn't tolerate the noise! Knowing what  I know now I'm glad I have a low tolerance for electronic noise!

This cool Rubber Band Pinball toy found at Journey Into Unschooling

Last, but not least, this post from Life is Not a Cereal outlining a 36-week art appreciation curriculum. We don't homeschool, but I do try to expose my children to things they don't get as in depth in school (like art and music) through our nightly reading. This curriculum is absolutely perfect!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I loved this post--very thought provoking! I have also been careful about providing materials and toys that encourage creativity and imagination in my children.

The story about your encounter with the mother at the playgroup made me wonder about all of the electronic gadgets with which teenagers and adults fill our lives: cell phones, blackberries, e-readers, computers, ipods, etc.
This line made me wonder what would happen if we got rid of all that stuff: "The best part was that she had seen an immediate difference in her baby's engagement with her environment and had realized that without the talking, flashing, beeping prop between them they were actually interacting on a more elemental level."

Your blog is lovely. I hope you don't mind my adding it to my blogroll.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails