Monday, March 1, 2010

Read Across America Day

Tomorrow is Read Across America Day.  In honor of this wonderful celebration I thought I would share our current read alouds. Just tonight we started Jean Craighead George's On the Far Side of the Mountain. Her website is beautiful, by the way. I highly reccomend a visit. We are also reading through T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. I try to read a couple of poems at the beginning of our read aloud time each night. I just discovered that this book of poems is the inspiration for the musical Cats.

And since we are talking about children's reading I had to share the link to Literacy Lava, a wonderful online publication loaded with tons of ideas for encouraging children's literacy. I've printed the most recent issue (would have printed them all if we had enough ink!) and will be giving copies to each of my children's teachers.

Be sure and follow the Share a Story, Shape a Future blog next week for lots ideas and inspiration for growing a reader. The theme this year is "It Takes a Village to Raise a Reader.

Share a Story - Shape a Future

1 comment:

Redbeet Mama said...

My passion for nine years was in childrens publishing. I was a director and really loved age-grading, editing, promoting reading and bonding with your child and tons of other responsibility in publishing. I enjoy reading about your passion with books. Your children are blessed to have you as their Mother.

Nicole

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails