Thursday, July 8, 2010

Favorite Word

This afternoon my eight year old daughter was flitting around the house sing songing the word 'shape.' "Shape," she says, "such a funny word. A word that means something and means something else." What she meant was that the word 'shape' represents all the shapes (circle, square, rectangle). I found her thought process interesting. She decided shape was her favorite word and continued flitting around sing songing it. Then she asked her brother (he doesn't have a favorite word) and I what our favorite words were. Wow! I honestly have never thought about having a favorite word, but her question made me think. What immediately came to mind was the word 'contemplate.'  A deep word, a word that has weight, a word that seems somber, but can be freeing. A word that requires some work. A word that needs to be used more often in our culture, I think.

Do you have a favorite word? Please share.

3 comments:

Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit said...

I love words...my favorite is a matter of mood I suppose but right now...

Serenity

Laura

Bending Birches said...

'civility' has always been a favorite...i have it tattooed on my left foot:) ...great site! ::hugs and warm wishes::

Betty L said...

I like 'tranquil', free from disturbance. Or tranquility.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails