Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Reading Challenge

Well, I made it...I actually read 114 books this year! At the very end I made an executive decision to include the chapter books I read aloud for the kids in order to make the goal. Someone asked what my favorite book of the year was...that question is simply impossible to answer. Some of my favorites included:

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

I love books for young readers that challenge their intellect. The themes of hope, faith and love that inform this story resonate with me.

Wild Comfort by Kathleen Dean Moore

The author does an excellent job of distilling the way nature speaks to her. I finished this book wanting to spend a week camping...and I'm decidedly not a camper!

The Evolution of Faith by Philip Gulley

I've said it before....he says exactly what I think, feel and believe, just so much better than I can say it.

The Reading Promise by Alice Ozma

As a reader, and a mother who still reads to her children, I had to love this book. So many memories and connections are made reading together.

I'm not going to be as ambitious with my challenge for 2012. Eighty books sounds about right. Towards the end I was feeling a little stressed about getting it done and found myself selecting short, quick novellas just to get the numbers in. I'd rather focus on reading what I really want to read.

Happy reading to everyone for 2012!

1 comment:

Valarie said...

Hello Marianna, Happy New Year. How happy I am to come and visit. It's been so long and so crazy busy over here. The New Year is calming down a bit and I'll be back to my usual blog reading and visiting. How happy I was to find the end of 2011 surrounded by some of the best kid lit writer's out there. Though there are many great authors out there I just love Kate Di Camillo. So wonderful you got to hear her speak. Here's wishing you all the best in 2012. Take care and be back soon. Promise.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails