Friday, February 17, 2012

All They Want is Peace

Perusing the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble yesterday I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between two older gentlemen talking about the situation between Iran and Israel. One of the men made the statement that he had heard on a radio program that the majority of the people in Iran just want to live a Westernized lifestyle and have some peace. When I hear people make comments like this it makes me wonder if they really think there are people somewhere in the world who enjoy living in a war zone. Of course, the majority of Iranians want peace, who doesn't? So do Israelis, Syrians, Afghanis, Italians, Moldovians etc. As to that Westernized lifestyle; I think we need to be careful with that one. What is often implied implied in such a statment is two cars in the garage, a large suburban house and access to all the material goods one would want. In other words, an Americanized lifestyle. All people want the basic necessities of life: a decent place to live, enough food to eat, something to give their life meaning, usually in the form of gainful employment, and the opportunity to raise and educate their children in safety. It saddens me to realize in how many parts of the world this is missing. The fulfillment of this lifestyle will not look the same everywhere, something we in the West have a hard time accepting.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You've given me something to think about today.

Last weekend my husband and I watched a movie called, "Traitor"--have you seen it? It's about a devout Muslim American who is a US operative. In the course of his work he is captured, escapes prison by catching the eye of a member of a terrorist group, and subsequently joins the group. Yet, his devotion to God is at odds with the group's interpretation of the Q'uran. The movie was interesting to me on so many levels, but most especially because I have felt the same kind of dis-unity within Christianity and between Christians.

The older I get, the more I am convinced that all of us--all of humanity--are more alike than different. We do all have the same need for: food, shelter, clean water, medical care, and freedom to worship God. Since we all agree that everyone needs these things, it seems pointless to be in constant conflict over the different ways we pursue/meet them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails