Saturday, October 26, 2013

Rain

I recently read Esther deWaal's Seeking God and found this description of rain from Thomas Merton.

"What a thing it is to sit absolutely alone, in the forest, at night, cherished by this wonderful, intelligible, perfectly innocent speech, the most comforting speech in the world, the talk that rain makes by itself all over the ridges...Nobody started it, nobody is going to stop it. It will talk as long as it wants, this rain. As long as it talks I am going to listen."

Now, I'm not sure that Merton is literally talking about rain here. I believe rain may be a metaphor for God's voice. However, I will never hear the sound of rain falling without thinking of this passage from Merton.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been going through the multitudes of draft posts I have, which is why the random January post came up below! I'm sure I wanted to add something to this one, but who knows what. I originally wrote it in 2010...

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a beautiful quote. As I read it, I could "hear" the rain . . . and the peace. Lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails