Friday, December 6, 2013

Cold, Icy Day

Typically when we get winter weather here in North Texas it will include ice. This usually happens in January, early February, not early December. Not sure what this little storm means for the rest of our winter. I do know I hope we don't have another storm quite like this one again in the next three months.

Our neighbor's crepe myrtle looks lovely covered in ice.



Our live oak doesn't. We've lost this tree which makes me terribly sad as it provided a ton of shade to our backyard. You can see in the top picture that the trunk has split. I'm praying we make it until tomorrow when the tree people can get here without this tree coming down completely...on our house. Part of it is already resting on the roof. Gratefully we did not lose power.

Besides trees being down, Texas cities and towns simply aren't prepared for this kind of weather. Our little town only has two or three sand trucks and no plows (not that you could plow an inch of ice off the road anyway!) This means that everything comes to a screeching halt, which is nice in its own way. My husband was home. School was cancelled so the kids were home. They braved the arctic chill (seriously it was about 10 degrees with the wind chill) and went out to play.



I stayed in the house, cozy and warm. Put up some Christmas decorations and wrote the last of my Christmas cards. And paced around, walking in circles to get in my 10,000 steps for the day!! My family thinks I'm crazy, but I set a goal for myself for the month of December to get a minimum of 10k every day. I've been surprised at what a challenge this is on the average day. On the three days a week that I run I easily go over, but the other days I struggle to get those steps in!



Now for more ice pictures.

The tree we had put in last fall. Hope it makes it!

The second tree we have down. This one just has broken limbs up at the top so maybe it can be saved.
A neighbors tree that came completely down.

The white stuff that looks like snow is actually ice.

2 comments:

Happyone said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Nice to meet someone else who has step goals. : )

Ice can be so damaging but so pretty to look at.
We have snow and ice falling today.
It's funny how kids don't seem to feel the cold when they are playing. Kind of like me when I'm outside walking in the morning. : )

Nice blog you have. I'll be back.

Nicole Pivec said...

Wow! What a storm you've had! It does look lovely, except for all the damage. :( Hope your trees survive. I love your steps idea! I think I'm going to have to find my pedometer or get a new one. I haven't been running; I just won't do it in the cold and icy roads and we don't have the $$ for a gym membership again this year as we did last. But tracking my steps inside might be a big help!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails