Sunday, February 16, 2014

Contermporary Art




We enjoyed an outing to the Dallas Museum of Art several weeks ago. Our (well, at least my) reason for going was to view Hopper Drawing: A Painter's Process (sadly, photos weren't allowed). I've always love Hopper for the sparseness in his work, the emotion that is evident of the canvas. It was fascinating to be allowed a glimpse into his creative process. After viewing Hopper we made out way to the Contemporary Art Gallery. I must admit that I simply don't "get" this type of art. My son kept saying "Man, I need to create some of this and sell it so I can get rich." I told him he needed to be sure he could tell a good story about his work. This is the story about the Rothko on the bottom:

Mark Rothko creates an environment in which the viewer can completely lose consciousness of him- or herself. His ideal was for his paintings to always be shown in groups, together in the same room. Rothko was interested in non-Western mythologies and religions but was also acutely aware of the particular situation of living at the center of a precarious Cold War world. Both these concerns influenced his work. Rothko sought to evoke an introspective state in which people could recognize and feel the grandeur and the tragedy of the human experience, but be elevated to a more spiritual dimension. (source Dallas Museum of Art)

Call me a philistine, but I just don't get a sense of what life was like during the Cold War from this canvas and it really doesn't elevate my spirituality. Perhaps I need to take a class in modern art.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You and me both. I wish I "got" it . . . I always feel a little stupid because I don't. But, I do like going through the Contemporary galleries at the MFA. I may not "get" it, but I am entertained by it in a scratch-my-head, what-the-heck kind of way. : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails