Sunday, August 17, 2014

Summer Fun

 
My husband and son are in Algeria this week for a family wedding (congrats to my sister in law!). As a treat to ourselves my daughter and I decided to take a little get away. I wanted someplace within relatively easy driving distance, and new to us. We ended up choosing Oklahoma City. Our other options were Hot Springs, AR, Natchitoches, LA or Little Rock. Oklahoma City really won out because of a last minute change of plans that had us in west Texas on the day we were planning to leave.  
 
Our first stop was the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. This is a beautiful place and well worth the trip to Oklahoma City on its own. I was honestly expecting something kind of hokey, but this is a museum with serious art as well as curated exhibits on western heritage (ranching, rodeo, etc.) Additionally, the grounds feature an extensive native garden.

 


 
 
Our second stop was the Oklahoma City Memorial  Quite sobering. Each chair represents a victim of the bombing.
 

 
The next day we started at the Oklahoma City Zoo. A nice little zoo. We got there early enough that it was quiet, with many active animals. We also beat the heat.  
 
 
We decided these two were siblings. One of them kept throwing mulch on the other. It was quite comical.
 
 
 
Rupert, the baby rhinoceros with his mom. Unfortunately, this was the best picture I could get of them.


Breakfast time.
 
 
Your majesty.
 
 
That is a bear paw. He/she was sleeping pressed right up against the glass.

 
In mid roll.

Love the tongue. I think I was disturbing her nap.

 

 
 
Red panda.
 
 After the zoo we went next door to the Science Museum. Where we had so much fun that the only picture I took was this one.
 
 
Our last stop of the day was the Oklahoma City Museum of Art which is a nice, if small, art museum. The Chihuly exhibit was our favorite.
.
 
This installation was in the ceiling of a tunnel moving from one installation to another, creating surreal lighting.




 
 
 
  

1 comment:

Happyone said...

Wow, you got a lot done. Looks like a great day. I love the huge tortoise. That is some large bear paw!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails